Thursday, February 12, 2015

Equitable Division of Patents in Divorce



In Ohio, in the context of equitably dividing marital property, the term "during the marriage" is statutorily presumed to run from the date of the marriage through the date of the final divorce hearing. Ohio Rev. Code Ann. §3105.171(A)(2)(a).

However, if the court determines that the use of either or both of these dates would be inequitable, the court may select dates that it considers equitable in determining the value of marital property. Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 3105.171(A)(2)(b).


It is not uncommon for the court to select the date of separation, the date the parties stopped living together as husband and wife, as the most equitable date for capping the division of marital property. The “Date of Separation” can be critically important regarding division marital interests in patents. Some patents are clearly identifiable as pre or post marital assets, not subject to division.

Generally, spouses who claim marital interest in a patent can hire appraisers to value the property. On the one hand, this can be expensive and speculative. On the other hand, if the rights are subject to valuation, such an option can allow for final division of property without future entanglements with the ex-spouse.

Another option is to negotiate a division of income or royalties from the intellectual property on a go forward basis. Such a division can involve the spouse who manages the property and who is responsible for enhancement of the property value receiving compensation for his or her post divorce labor. This approach also requires agreement on the proportion going to each spouse which can be contentious.


Some patents regarded as marital property can be shown to have no fair market value (the value in money of any property for which that property would sell on the open market by a willing seller to a willing buyer).



The use of a patent valuation expert may be of critical importance. A patent regarded as marital, not prior marketed, may be argued as having no value. The court can only consider evidence before it, unless a later motion alleging such grounds as fraud, newly discovered evidence that through reasonable diligence could not have been discovered at the time, etc., is brought by an aggrieved ex-spouse.



The above information is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. The information presumes you are not currently represented by an attorney who knows your specific circumstances.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your blog dear, its have great information about divorce.

    Positive Parenting Court Educational Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your miracle Doctor Osemu Okpamen

    This article is dedicated to the Doctor Osemu Okpamen. I have been married with my wife for 5 years and recently she broke up with me and it hurt me deeply when she told me to leave her alone and that she does not love me anymore when i was always faithful and honest to her. I tried all the ways to get her back buying her what she wants like i always did and she still left me heart broken and she even has a new boyfriend which destroyed me even more until a friend of mine from high school directed me to this genuine spell Doctor called Osemu Okpamen. This man changed my life completely. I followed everything he told me to do and my wife came back begging for me back. I was stunned everything happened exactly like he told me. I had faith in everything he told me and everything was true. Also he was there every moment until i got my happiness back and he also provides spells that cures any diseases & sickness. You could contact him via email at { Doctorokpamenspelltemple@yahoo.com } or visit his website http://www.doctorokpamenspells.com or reach him on +1 (914)-517-3229. He will help you in anything you need and quick to answer once you contact him.

    ReplyDelete